In Accounting there are quite important different tasks between Bookkeeper, BAS Agent, Accountant and Tax Agent
All bookkeeper may not be necessary a BAS Agent.
- Bookkeepers can process, reconcile, and report transactions, as well as do anything else that they want if it is not a “BAS Agent Service” or a “Tax Service”
- BAS Agents can “ascertain” (which we interpret to mean provide certainty), “Advise” and also “represent” the clients to the Tax Office in relation to a BAS Provision (BAS is our government form to report and pay our value added Goods & Services Tax). This includes payroll related advice and certainty
- Accountants (remember anybody can call themselves an accountant) can also do whatever they like as long as it is not a “BAS Agent Service” or a “Tax Service”
- Tax Agents are allowed to provide Tax Services which is “ascertain”, “advise” and “represent” a client in relation to income tax matters (which includes everything a BAS Agent can do and then other areas of Income Tax as well)
BAS Agent can:
- design the compliance system for a client around GST, the other indirect taxes on the BAS and payroll matters
- can be engaged to review the reports of a business and provide certainty to that business about the obligations, entitlements of that business.
To Apply a system, one need not to be a BAS Agent, but to design, advice and review the system, one must be a BAS Agent.